Ok, so I don't really take my Corgi to the movies, but my wife has her "Knitting Corgis" blog, so I figured I'd stay in the theme. This is our commentary on the movies and other pop culture that we partake in.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Japanese Story

My wife picked this up at the store for us to watch since I wasn't feeling well. We both had high hopes - it was set in Australia, which we both love, and it had won numerous awards there.

Things started off ok, if not a little slow. Independent and foriegn films usually don't have a lot of flash at the beginning like a Hollywood Blockbuster, and my wife and I like that. We recently enjoyed Garden State and I Heart Huckabees quite a bit.

Unfortunately, this movie never picked up speed. In fact, it slowed down. Wayyyy down. To an almost maddening non-speed. I mean, how long can we look at a close-up of Toni Collete making subtle emotional faces? Apparently not as long as foreigners, because the original international cut has even MORE boring-ness.

I debated whether or not to include a spoiler describing a major plotline that they drag out FOREVER, especially since I wouldn't really encourage anyone to rent this particular movie, but I figured I shouldn't start my first movie blog post like that. But take it from me, this movie was long.

1 Comments:

Blogger - LisaD. said...

Okay, I completely disagree with you on this movie. I loved it! Slow, yes, but it gave us time to fully appreciate the development of the characters. Toni Collette is amazing in everything that she does, but in this one she shined as an actress. Yes, lots of emotion, which is a strengh of hers......and brave, because she definitely is not a pretty cryer, which in my opion, made it all the more raw and realistic. If anything, please tell me you were surprised by the twist in the story.

1:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home